Creating a Basic Search functionality

The second week of GSoC coding period is over and here are the works that I completed during this week.

This week was mostly spent on improving the design of the Questions page as proposed by my mentor and introducing a Basic question search functionality. I had to do some follow up fixes for my previous changes like adding comments for some temporary changes and one most important fix was to have a custom method defined for questions url so that it could be used at places required instead of writing out the full path every time.

Following the design proposed in plots2 issue #554 I modified the design for the questions page using some of the dashboard templates used in plots2.

You can now see the new questions page at https://publiclab.org/questions/ .

As proposed in the design I made a Basic Search functionality for Questions. Here I will walk through How I made the Basic Search functionality for questions.

There was already a search functionality that searched for notes, wikis, maps and comments from the  search box in the navbar. Autocomplete results are shown as you type in any keywords showing a icon and title in the autocomplete results suitably linked with the item. There is also an advanced search which you can see in the url  https://publiclab.org/search/ . There you can search selectively for any research note, wiki, map or comment by checking the checkboxes present there.

The question search is similar to the search except that it searches only questions. The actions for the questions search would go in the search controller. So the search query searches for any notes whose title matches the keyword and also has a question:foo tag. The search query for that is


@notes = DrupalNode.where(
'type = "note" AND node.status = 1 AND title LIKE ?',
"%" + params[:id] + "%"
)
.joins(:drupal_tag)
.where('term_data.name LIKE ?', 'question:%')
.order('node.nid DESC')
.page(params[:page])

view raw

search_query.rb

hosted with ❤ by GitHub

Here the :id is the search keyword typed. You can see my previous post for the definition of nodes and tags used in the codebase.

Now that I have fetched the questions I have to implement the autocomplete feature. I did it using the jQuery typeahead function, similar to what was done before for the search feature.

The JavaScript code for typeahead goes as follows


$('#questions_searchform_input').typeahead({
items: 15,
minLength: 3,
source: function (query, process) {
return $.post('/questions_search/typeahead/' + query, {}, function (data) {
return process(data);
})
},
updater: function(item) {
var url;
if ($(item)[0] != undefined) url = $(item)[0].attributes['data-url'].value;
else url = '/questions_search/' + $('#questions_searchform_input').val();
window.location = url;
}
})

I have a input field with an id ‘questions_searchform_input’. The items option tells the maximum items that can be listed in the results. The minLength option specifies the minimum characters that will trigger the search. The source option gives the dataset of search results. Here we have used a ajax post request that submits the keyword to the /search/questions_typeahead/:id  url.

The actual work of fetching the results is done in the search controller. It has two actions questions and questions_typeahead. The questions action shows the results searched by the keyword and displays them on submit. If no match is found it redirects the user to the post form to post  new question. The questions_typeahead action generates the results for the autocomplete results.

You can find my work on the search functionality in the commit ceabfb0.

Lastly I wrote some functional tests for the search controller and also an integration test to test the entire search mechanism. You can find my full work in the plots2 Pull Request #555

This is just a simple search functionality. There is much more to it for developing a advanced search functionality. In fact there is a parallel Advanced Search Project going on in Publiclab lead by David Days. In course of time the search code will be modified to meet the advanced search needs.