GSoC 2016 Wrap-up:The End of a wonderful Journey

So GSoC 2016 comes to an end as the thirteenth week in the Coding period wraps up! Well actually it is way beyond these 13 weeks when it started. It was actually in the beginning of March when I started interacting with PublicLab. It’s been a wonderful experience working so far. The place where my actual Open-source journey began. And I have learnt so much in the way.

Final Works

Here is my final report that I will submit for the Final evaluation:

GSoC 2016: Final Work Product of Expanded Q & A System for publiclab.org

This research note contains the detailed report of my work and  the contributions I made.

I also want to show my contribution graph here

contribution

By the way you can find me on Github with my username @ananyo2012

The design changes are merged and I also managed to make some contribution to the Rich Editor. Here is my PR #40 in the PublicLab.Editor repo though it is not merged yet. I really need to learn nodejs before I make any significant contributions to the Rich Editor. Also I made an Rich Editor update in plots2 in PR #664. I spent the week doing fixes on small and some large bugs a creeped up. Also I wrote a wiki on Q & A system and made the final research note for my evaluation.

Also as my mentor insisted I made some first-timer issues in plots2 that could be taken up by new contributors who are completely new to open source. This was a great move to welcome new contributors to our codebase and applause to PublicLab for doing such a great job!

And finally it was all set to go for the Final Evaluation! Results would come by August 30th!

Tough times and Lesson learnt

There were some breaking changes after the code got deployed. It was due to the PR #600 I made. I started working on this long ago and I hadn’t mentioned about it in my any of my blog posts since I wasn’t sure about how it would turn up. It was a work on updating the slugs for research notes and wikis using friendly_id. But things were tough right from the beginning since there was already a diverse slugging system present and I had to make changes keeping the format of the slugs intact. On deploying the code the old slugs of the notes and wikis got updated to new slugs and the older ones were no longer available. So all previous links failed that pointed to those research notes. The new slugs were supposed to redirect to new ones as done using friendly_id. It used a friendly_id_slug table to store the old urls but unfortunately due to some issues they weren’t saved as expected, also I missed few test cases which didn’t predict this case while testing and it was a complete disaster. But fortunately PublicLab had good database backups and things were reverted back to normal in no time.  Some code from the PR had to reverted back and the issue was fixed.

Moral of the story:  Always write good tests and think of rigorous test cases before deploying any code. In fact good tests are the lifeline of a good software development cycle.

Experiences and Best Moments

Well it was an really good experience overall! I really learnt a lot throughout the entire summer. The idea of working alongside with so many people even when you are distances apart is really amazing! We had a Video call with our mentors and other GSoC students at the end of last month and it was great! And people in PublicLab were very helpful giving us reviews in research notes alongside with our mentors.

Thanks to PublicLab and Google OSPO for giving me this wonderful opportunity! Hope to participate in GSoC 2017 again!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s